PENFED Student Loan Refinance Review
Student Loan Refinance
PenFed student loan refinancing is a great option not only for college graduates but also for parents with PLUS loans. This large credit union has solid rates on loan refinancing, offered through Purefy, and a few perks including parent loan refinancing, spousal consolidation, and a fairly simple cosigner release process.
The process of checking your refinance rates through PenFed is quick and easy and requires only a soft credit pull. Parents can also refinance their student loans in their child’s name with this lender.
PenFed stands out for offering spousal consolidation. For newly married college graduates, refinancing student loans with a spouse can be a great way to get a better interest rate on the borrowed money between you. Sharing your spouse’s student loan debt can make repayment easier and reduce your overall payments considerably. However, it may not be possible to disentangle a spousal consolidation loan if the borrowers get divorced.
You may need to apply with a cosigner in order to qualify for PenFed refinancing if you do not meet income or credit requirements. After 12 consecutive on-time payments, you may apply for cosigner release. In order to qualify for this, you will need to meet income and credit requirements on your own. The primary borrower on this loan must become a PenFed member to qualify for loan refinancing. Once you’re a member, you’ll have access to financial literacy training, scholarship sponsorships and college planning resources.
PenFed offers a minimum loan amount of $7,500 and maximum amount of $300,000. You may choose from 5, 8, 12 and 15-year repayment terms. PenFed does not offer deferment or loan discharge repayment options, but forbearance is available for those facing temporary financial hardship. If you need to get in touch with support, PenFed has evening call center hours available.
PENFED Credit Union - Private Student Loan Details
- Credit Check: Hard
- Repayment Terms: 5 years, 8 years, 12 years, 15 years
- Minimum Borrowing Limit: $7,500
- Application Fee: None
- Origination Fee: None
- Prepayment Penalty: None
- Late Fee: None
- Minimum Credit Score: 700
- Minimum Anual Income: $42,000
- Citizenship Restriction: Citizens or Residents
- List of States where Loan is Not Available: None
- Approved Schools Include: No Associate's
- Maximum Deferment Period: Not specified by lender
- Maximum Forbearance Period: Not specified by lender
- Cosigner Release Option: Yes, after 12 months on-time payments
- Disability Discharge: Not specified by lender
- US-Based Call Center: Yes
- Hours of Operation (in addition to weekdays): Evenings
- Application Timeline: Online application takes less than 15 minutes
- Scholarship Search Tool: Yes
- Sponsors a Scholarship: Yes
- Job and Career Assistance: None
- Financial Literacy Training: Yes