Commerce Bank Medical Refinance Loan Review
Medical Refinance Loan
If you’re a college graduate and medical professional employed by a hospital, practice or clinic, you might qualify for student loan refinancing with Commerce Bank. This institution only offers refinancing on loans for medical school, but if you racked up a considerable amount of debt while pursuing your medical degree, Commerce Bank might not be a bad option for you. However, its repayment options are less than flexible and its borrowing requirements steep, so steer clear if you have a problem with either of those things.
Other Loans that Commerce Bank Offers:
Commerce Bank definitely has its high borrowing limit going for it, with qualified individuals being allowed to borrow up to $500,000 when refinancing (which is well above the average student loan debt of a med student). However, there is also a high borrowing minimum of $30,000, making this a poor option for anyone that managed to graduate with much less debt.
Choose from 10 and 20-year repayment terms with fixed or variable interest rates. If you enroll in automatic payments through Sallie Mae, 0.25% is automatically knocked off of your interest rate. Only fixed monthly repayment is available. A dedicated private banker with Commerce Bank will help you along the way should you have any questions about your repayment. However, there is no evening and weekend customer support with this lender. Hardship forbearance is granted on a case-by-case basis, but other deferment options are not advertised as available.
The fact that Commerce Bank does not allow you to apply to refinance with a cosigner will make qualifying difficult for many borrowers. If you are not creditworthy or your debt-to-income ratio is too high, you will not be able to refinance through Commerce Bank, period. And if you are not yet employed with a medical practice of some sort or don’t have a pending contract, you’ll need to hold off on applying for loan refinancing with Commerce Bank or research other lenders.
Commerce Bank - Private Student Loan Details
- Credit Check: Soft for Rate Check, Hard for Application
- Repayment Terms: 10 years, 20 years
- Minimum Borrowing Limit: $30,000
- Application Fee: None
- Origination Fee: None
- Prepayment Penalty: None
- Late Fee: Not specified by lender
- Minimum Credit Score: Not specified by lender
- Minimum Anual Income: Not specified by lender
- Citizenship Restriction: Citizens or Residents
- List of States where Loan is Not Available: None
- Approved Schools Include: Not specified by lender
- Maximum Deferment Period: Not specified by lender
- Maximum Forbearance Period: Not specified by lender
- Cosigner Release Option: Not specified by lender
- Disability Discharge: Not specified by lender
- US-Based Call Center: Yes
- Hours of Operation (in addition to weekdays): No Evenings or Weekends
- Application Timeline: Apply in 15 minutes, Certification takes 7 to 10 business days
- Scholarship Search Tool: Yes
- Sponsors a Scholarship: Yes
- Job and Career Assistance: Yes
- Financial Literacy Training: Yes