Borrowers sometimes forget the name of their student loan servicer or lender, especially after a long in-school, deferment or forbearance period. Even borrowers who are in active repayment may not remember the name of their lender if they set up their loans for autopay.
So, how do you figure out the name of your student loan servicer?
- Check a list of student loan servicers, to see if any of the names jog your memory.
- Servicers of federal student loans in the Direct Loan program include CornerStone, FedLoan Servicing (PHEAA), Granite State (GSMR), Great Lakes Educational Loan Services, HESC/EdFinancial, MOHELA, Navient, Nelnet and Oklahoma Student Loan Authority (OSLA).
- Servicers of federal student loans in the Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) program include American Student Assistance (ASA), Ascendium Education Group, ECMC, HESC, NSLP in addition to some of the servicers of Direct Loan program loans.
- ECSI servicers some Federal Perkins Loans.
- If your federal student loan is in default, it may be serviced by the Default Resolution Group (Maximus Federal Services).
- If you have applied for a total and permanent disability discharge on your federal student loans, your loans will be serviced by Nelnet.
- If you have filed an Employment Certification Form (ECF) or applied for Public Service Loan Forgiveness, your loans will be serviced by FedLoan Servicing.
- The largest lenders and servicers of private student loans include AES/PHEAA, Aspire, Citizens Bank, Cognition Financial/Raise^ (First Marblehead), College Ave, CommonBond, Discover Student Loans, Earnest, KeyBank (Laurel Road), PNC Bank, Sallie Mae, SoFi, SunTrust and Wells Fargo, in addition to several state-specific lenders.
- Contact your college’s financial aid office. They may have information about your lenders and loan servicers.
- For federal student loans, login at StudentAid.gov and visit your account dashboard.
- Obtain a free copy of your credit reports at AnnualCreditReport.com. The credit report should include a list of all your loans, including federal and private student loans.