National STEM Day, which occurs annually on November 8 (NOV8 = en-o-v-ate = innovate), presents an opportunity to explore scholarship opportunities in math, science, engineering and technology. Some of the most generous scholarships are available to students who are interested in math and science.
Some STEM scholarships and fellowships are limited to underrepresented groups in STEM, such as women and minorities, while others are open to all students.
Some of the undergraduate STEM scholarships listed below are also available for graduate students.
In addition to using these lists of STEM scholarships, consider searching some of the free scholarship matching sites, as those web sites help students find other scholarships for which they are eligible. This includes small STEM scholarships with narrow selection criteria.
Undergraduate STEM Scholarships
These science and math college scholarships are listed in alphabetical order. It includes some of the most prestigious scholarships in STEM fields.
- American Chemical Society (ACS) Scholarships
- American Indian Science and Engineering Society (AISES) Scholarships
- American Institute of Professional Geologists (AIPG) Undergraduate Scholarship
- American Meteorological Society (AMS) Scholarships and Fellowships
- American Nuclear Society Scholarship Program
- American Statistical Association (ASA) Gertrude M. Cox Scholarship
- Collegiate Inventors Competition
- Davidson Fellows Scholarships
- Google Science Fair
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund
- Intel International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF)
- Lemelson-MIT Student Prize
- Marine Technology Society (MTS) Student Scholarships
- National Action Council for Minorities in Engineering (NACME) Scholarships
- New Cosmic Frontiers International Science Essay Competition
- NIH Undergraduate Scholarship Program
- NIH Undergraduate Scholarship Program
- NOAA Ernest F. Hollings Undergraduate Scholarship
- Novus Biologicals Scholarship Program
- Regeneron Science Talent Search (STS)
- S.P.A.R.K.S. Foundation Scholarships
- Sigma Xi Grants-in-Aid of Research Program
- SimpliSafe STEM Scholarship
- SME Education Foundation
- Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE) Scholarships
- Society of Physics Students (SPS) Scholarships
- Team America Rocketry Challenge
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Antibody Scholarship Program
- Toshiba/NSTA ExploraVision
- U.S. Department of Defense STEM Scholarships
- U.S. Stockholm Junior Water Prize
- Universities Space Research Association (URSA) Scholarship Awards
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) Summer Student Fellowship
Students should also participate in their local state science fairs, which often award scholarships to first award winners.
Graduate STEM Fellowships
There are also several graduate fellowship programs for STEM fields.
- American Geosciences Institute (AGI) Scholarship Programs
- American Physical Society (APS) M. Hildred Blewett Fellowship
- DOE Computational Science Graduate Fellowship
- Google’s Women Techmakers Scholars Program
- Hertz Foundation Fellowships
- Microsoft Research Ada Lovelace Fellowship
- Microsoft Research Dissertation Grant Program
- Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship Program
- National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowship
- National GEM Consortium Fellowships
- National Physical Science Consortium (NPSC) Graduate Fellowships in Science, Mathematics and Engineering
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowship Program
- NOAA Dr. Nancy Foster Scholarship Program
- Society of Women Engineers (SWE) Scholarships
- Winston Churchill Foundation of the USA Scholarship Program
- Woodrow Wilson Teaching Fellowship
USA Science Olympiads
Most of the math and science Olympiads do not provide scholarships to the winners. But, winning an Olympiad can help the student win other scholarships.
- Science Olympiad
- United States National Physics Olympiad (USAPhO)
- USA Biology Olympiad (USABO)
- U.S. National Chemistry Olympiad (USNCO)
- USA Computing Olympiad (USACO)
- USA Mathematical Olympiad (USAMO)